Frequently Asked Question

Manganese sulfate is a metal sulfate in which the metal component is manganese in the +2 oxidation state. It has a role as a nutraceutical.

 Manganese sulfate is used primarily as a fertilizer and as livestock supplement where soils are deficient in manganese, then in some glazes, varnishes, ceramics, and fungicides .

 Image result Manganese is used to make clear glass, to desulfurize and deoxidize steel in steel production and to reduce the octane rating in gasoline. It also is used as a black-brown pigment in paint and as filler in dry cell batteries. Its alloys help stiffen the aluminum in soft-drink cans, according to Chemicool.

 It’s recommended that adult males 19 years and older consume 2.3 mg of manganese daily and adult females 19 years and older consume 1.8 mg of manganese daily. As medicine, manganese has most often been used by adults in combination with other ingredients, in doses of 0.5-5.6 mg by mouth daily for up to 24 weeks.

 Studies have not shown any harm from the manganese in food and beverages. But some people have developed manganese toxicity by consuming water containing very high levels of manganese. Another cause of manganese toxicity is inhaling large amounts of manganese dust from welding or mining work.

 It is mainly used in alloys, such as steel. Steel contains about 1% manganese, to increase the strength and also improve workability and resistance to wear.

CONSIDERED A HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE ACCORDING TO OSHA 29 CFR 1910.1200. Harmful: danger of serious damage to health by prolonged exposure through inhalation and if swallowed. Toxic to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment.

 As such, too little or too much intake of manganese may be harmful. Breathing high concentrations of manganese dust and fumes (e.g., welding) over the course of years has been associated with toxicity to the nervous system in workers, producing a syndrome that resembles Parkinson’s Disease.